Thursday, July 01, 2010

Hot Playwrights V



Let's discuss Harold Pinter.

I stole this Cecil Beaton photograph (another, not too shabby), just flat stole it like this is the Internet or something, from a New Yorker profile written by John Lahr a few years back. It's an incredibly foxy photograph and it accompanies a really great profile that you should definitely print out and take with you on your July 4th Holiday Vacation, or your Canada Day Holiday Vacation, or Whatever, because how better to celebrate a long weekend than to read about a dude who used his Nobel lecture to drop the following science:

You have to hand it to America. It has exercised a quite clinical manipulation of power worldwide while masquerading as a force for universal good. It's a brilliant, even witty, highly successful act of hypnosis.

Then he quoted Neruda! Grrrrrrowl. I think I need a glass of water.

3 comments:

joshcon80 said...

Oh my god, you're right! I don't know how I never saw it.

Erica Saleh said...

NO. No no no. I thought so much better of both of you. His politics might be sexy but that face is not. Let's keep this shallow people.

Patrick Link said...

Agreed, Saleh. Not hot. Everybody wants to sound like Pinter....nobody wants to look like Pinter.