Tuesday, May 11, 2010

sub-Urban Dictionary














Technology is great, right? Except when it's terrible. But sometimes it's great. Like for instance, spell-check. A thing that is great, except when it's terrible, like when it tricks you into thinking you have a flawless draft when in fact you have a draft full of homonyms and misplaced character names. Naturally I always proofread everything I send out, I mean, really carefully, but for some reason I am mostly a terrible proofreader, except for a brief period of time that begins a half hour after I have mailed my submissions, a period during which I frantically read through the draft I just sent and suddenly locate every single one of its errors and a sad trombone plays wah-wah.

Anyway, a thing I do very much like about spell-check is the bit where you build your own dictionary. Just like the pioneers! You tell your spell-check machine to learn the words that you create/mildly misspell, and from then on it thinks those words are actual words! Even when they are not! And sometimes when they are! A writer's spell-check dictionary is a personal and precious object, which is why I am going to share with you a few selections from mine. I think you will agree that it reveals a rich artistic life.
  • ahh
  • Ahhhhh
  • Apocalypsey
  • bro-ham
  • defeatarian
  • Glenlivet
  • Marx
  • obvi
  • teleporter
  • Voldemort
  • woooooooooo
I know, and I'm all, when is the Morgan Library gonna call me already? Sheeeeeeesh. PS I am not spell-checking this post.

1 comment:

joshcon80 said...

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I actually had to add the word "whom" to my dictionary. Have we really gotten there?

"Obvi" is super important to any dictionary, obvi.