Friday, June 14, 2013

SILVER The Olympic Dream

In 2008 I knew I needed to be at the Beijing Olympics to watch the competition between the American and Chinese gymnasts. I got there, learned some Chinese, and saw it go down. I knew I wanted to write about it but I wasn't sure what to write. And then, everyone thought the Chinese gymnasts were too young.

A few months later I got a Sloan grant to write a ten-minute play for the Youngblood science brunch about an American gymnast who demanded the help of a scientist to prove the Chinese gymnasts were under age and should be stripped of their gold medals.

In 2012 in the car on the way up to a Youngblood retreat, Dylan Dawson, a graduating Youngblood member, told me I should submit another Sloan proposal for a full-length play on the same subject.  I did, I got my Sloan grant and here comes the first public reading:

SILVER

MONDAY JUNE 17, at 7pm.

260 West 35th St, 2nd FL 


by Emily Chadick Weiss
directed by Moritz von Stuelpnagel

featuring
Claire Seibers
Stephanie Wright Thompson
Risa Sarachan
Ali Ahn
Jackie Chung
Annie Q
Andrew Garman
Helen Coxe
Chris Seraso

Watch the play. Have an icy cold beverage. It's been a long time coming.



No comments: