Friday, January 27, 2012

Occupational Hazards

So I wrote this play, "In Memory of Julie Simmons" that is currently running as part of Unfiltered at EST. If you haven't seen it yet, you should come see it tonight or tomorrow at 7:00 before it is gone forever.
It's been a really great process. My actors and director and designers have made this thing into a really beautiful play and I am super proud of it.

But there's been one sort of horrible side effect to the process. And that is this: This play is about teenage girls, and the dialogue is very teenage girly. At some point a lot of my rewrites turned into saying things like: "um. maybe we should have her say 'like' here instead of here."

And then suddenly I realized I was using like in my writing outside of this play, like, ALL THE TIME. And I can't stop! I mean, I'm not going to pretend I didn't SAY like way too much before working on this play - but until recently it had stayed out of my written communications. But not anymore. Here, I'll show you what I mean via excerpts from a selection of emails and facebook comments and chats from today. Just today. This is just some of what has come out of my fingers in the last three hours:
Posted on facebook: that shit is like, affordable!
Via interoffice chat: I would just do yoga and write and maybe like, cook.
Via interoffice chat: she like, didn't even say hi to me
Via email: apparently i was like, less than 24 hours too late.
Via email: Just in case I hadn't like totally confirmed that it sounds great - I am confirming that now.

Anyway. That's like, something that's going on with me right now.
I've clearly sacrificed a lot for this play. So please come see it!




No comments: