Thursday, January 05, 2012

UNFILTERED 2012: Hanks Edition

Ofttimes, I will email or text myself play ideas/snippets of dialogue/ characters-in-waiting.

On January 14, 2009:

I emailed myself the idea for Big Tex.

Subject line: Voice of Big Tex

Body: black man wants to become the voice of Big Tex. Readybreak!

As a child growing up in Dallas, Texas, my family and I would go to the State Fair of Texas each October. Mrs. Johnson, my first grade teacher, is the person who first enlightened my ass to Big Tex. I dragged my family to view this huge ass cowboy centered in the middle of the State Fair of Texas. I waved to him. He waved back (because he does that all day long. It's the robot's job). But kids are in awe of anything bigger than themselves. So I was much excited that he even acknowledged me.

Young Angela wrote her first book in the first grade. It was all of 6 pages long. Laminated and bound by a plastic spiral. Published by her elementary school's press, Pacesetter Publications. It told the story of the birth of her baby sister, Ava. Young Angela never thought to write a story about Big Tex. For some reason, Older Angela thought it would be a good idea for a play.

I hope folks can come out to see how that idea evolved!

Here's an image:








Here's some more info (provided by the very lovely Meghan Deans):

Big Tex by Angela Hanks
directed by José Zayas
with William Jackson Harper, Geany Masai, Nedra McClyde, and Shawn Randall

At the State Fair of Texas, a young bus driver trains to become
the voice of the main attraction:
his childhood hero, a 52-foot cowboy.

Come see it: January 5th, 6th, 13th, and 14th at 7pm.
Buy tickets here.

(They're $20.
Get 2-for-1 tickets for the first three performances by using code BIGTEX.)

All shows at Ensemble Studio Theatre, 549 West 52nd Street, 2nd Floor (between 10th & 11th Aves).

*Please also enjoy new plays by Ryan Dowler, Erica Saleh, and Eric Dufault!

No comments: