Thursday, June 20, 2013

BLOGGING BLOODWORKS: Hill

Since everything is a remix, here is an incomplete list of things I am biting from:



THE QUIET EARTH
directed by Geoff Murphy

I watched this in high school (stoned) and then just rewatched it a few weeks ago (not stoned) and it holds up. It is about the last man on the planet and how one would pass the time if there were no post-apocalyptic zombies to fight. It has smart (though sometimes clunky) things to say about gender and race and power and how those things get all shifted around when traditional societal roles are broken down because EVERYONE IS DEAD.



THE PARABLE OF THE SOWER
by Octavia Butler

There are two other books after this one, so I am probably missing the larger picture, but this is the truest vision of the future I've ever read, and it's done with a subtlety that I cannot comprehend.  It is about self-reliance and how when all existing institutions (public and private)  fail you, you need to be able to look out for yourself and the people you love and how even if you can do that, it is meaningless without community, love and empathy. My play is about people who are bad at almost all of these things.



THIS IS HOW WE WALK ON THE MOON
by Arthur Russell

They used this song in a car commercial! What a bunch of assholes.





THE CHAIRS
by Eugene Ionesco

There are only two people in this play. And they are on an island. And they are old and dying and sick of each other and in love with each other and drowning in the disappointments of their life together. There are also a lot of chairs, but that's not what excited me about it. Which is not to say there are no chairs in my play, just not very many.




I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ON THE MOON
by Jeff Moss

"This makes me cry most of times."
- Xavier Siline, top youtube commenter




WHATEVER THIS IS

What the fuck is this? I don't know. I wasn't alive during the 70s.


If you are interested in seeing how I mangle all of these beautiful works of art into something resembling a play, please check out

THIS DEAD ADVENTURE
by Brendan A. Hill
directed by Paul Cameron Hardy
With a cast of some sort.

Monday, June 24th
9 PM
The Ma Yi rehearsal space (260 West 35th St, 2nd Fl)

No comments: