Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Song for a Future Generation



Hi. I'm Josh and I am a Capricorn.
I love feminist punk rock and soap operas from decades past.

That's how my part goes in my fantasy life where I'm a member of the B-52s and get to have my own introduction line in "Song for a Future Generation." I'm not in the B-52s though, so my favorite introduction remains Cindy's:

Hello, I'm Cindy! I'm a Pisces.
I like chihuahuas and Chinese noodles!

I love this song so much I'm producing a play inspired by it with my theater company, The Management. Okay, not really. I mean, I'm producing the play, but only because Joe Tracz's SONG FOR A FUTURE GENERATION is so disarmingly charming and fun that I couldn't resist it.

SONG FOR A FUTURE GENERATION is like a sci-fi teen movie made in the 1980's; it's the future as seen from the past. The story revolves around three clones who travel the galaxy throwing theme parties. They are putting on their biggest bash ever... a party on a satellite orbiting a star that's going to blow up. Among the guests are a time traveler, two jock offs about to go into flight academy, a pair of rival girl bounty hunters, a depressed psychic, a juvenile delinquent and his strange, bee hived lady friend. As they search for meaning and connection they totally end up having the BEST NIGHT EVER.

I play the bee hived lady friend.

The play has multiple choreographed dance numbers and lots of cool music. You'll like it if you aren't boring or stupid, I promise. I also designed the costumes, something I've never done before but have enjoyed immensely.

I'm so, so proud of this show and I think that Joe Tracz is one of the most exciting young playwrights there is on the scene. (Plus, he's cute!) So come on down to the East Village and support indie theater. To quote the B-52's: "Let's meet and have a baby now."



Written by Joe Tracz, Directed by Meg Sturiano

Performed by Alex Teicheira*, Cal Shook, Jenny Gomez, Jennifer Harder, Joleen Wilkinson*, Joe Varca, Joshua Conkel, Matt Barbot, Nick Lewis, Ronica Reddick*, Tara Giordano*, Yesenia Tromp & Zoey Martinson*.

April 29th- May 15th
Thursdays & Fridays @ 8pm and
Saturdays @ 3pm & 8pm.

Location: UNDER St. Marks
94 St. Marks, btwn 1st Ave & Ave A

Tickets: $18 - www.smarttix.com or call 212-868-4444

*Appearing courtesy of Actors’ Equity - Equity approved showcase



1 comment:

RJ said...

Holy cow. YO GABBA GABBA totally swiped the line "I like chihuahuas and Chinese noodles." I had no idea it was from the B-52s. Those sneaky hipster kids shows.

Kick ass on your opening tonight, Josh!